Monday, August 28, 2006

For the record, I have just written an entire post and lost it because of the poor internet connection. I'm finding myself miffed and annoyed- plus the waiter keeps on ignoring me (I am at the Sheridan as usual doing my internet.) The tips are so low in this country, the waitstaff has little incentive to suck up to you. I think because I am a woman they tend to think I'm waiting for some man to come and take over- or am planning on finding one to pay at the very least. The concept that I might be fully capable of taking care of myself seems to allude them.

Yes- I know, am overreacting. I really had a nice post all written- and rewriting it isn't the end of the world. However, I am feeling the need to whine and have nobody to whine to- thus you all get to here it.

Life has been scary, frustrating, exhilarating, and dramatic these past few weeks. I have been driving- a dangerous endeavor in this city where drivers ed. is an unheard of concept. My first night I ended up on the wrong side of a freeway- swerving and honking to avoid the cars coming at me. I drove about 1/4 of a mile before I could turn around- and almost went into hysterics in the middle of it. The lane I was on suddenly swerved to the right and when I kept going straight I was in oncoming traffic. The truly scary thing is that it is not uncommon for people to drive the wrong way down a road ON PURPOSE- just because it is a more direct rout to their destination.!
School is wonderful- i adore my students and love the subjects I'm teaching. These kids are even better behaved then my last set of students.
I have hired a housekeeper-and for the first time in my life am totally caught up on laundry. It is awesome coming home to a clean house and having someone to shop for me (especially in the market since I stink at the whole bartering thing).
Life has been lonely, however. I am feeling the isolation alot these last couple of weeks. The women I hung out with the first week have not been available and the friends I have made have their own lives. I did go out on my first "Nigerian date" which was exciting, but found the man to be too similar to those I left behind in Denver- except richer and more African. I'll save that diatribe for another night;-)
I appreciate your emails and comments soo much- I'm already looking forward to my visit back to the states in December. Please keep my in your prayers!
Love,
Martina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Martina. It's great to finally get some news. You make your life sound hilarious, but I can imagine it's a bit stressful at times there. Your living quarters sound delightful. I have emailed you--please email back!

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Dearest Martina,
Hi Friend! I have been thinking of calling you this weekend; have you figured out how to do it? It sounds like coming home will be a God-send (thank you Sara! Hah: that's not reason to get married but you know what I mean!)

I like your stories and writing; it is funny and has your dramatic humor to it! I hope we don't miss you in that when you need something from us. I feel honored to walk this journey with you and am comforted from some of my own past move struggles to hear that loneliness is setting in for you. It is normalizing and thus I want you to know it is normal for you too. I think it's great you're doing what you are; contacting us and keeping engaged and active!

I am intrigued about the trip to Cairo; has it happened or do you know when it will? You probably don't have off this Monday (no Labor day there!) right? I don't know how much writing can be done here or you want to handle. Let me, and maybe all of us know, what you need and don't need. I didn't know if I should write anything/everything to here rather than your own private email; perhaps you don't have the time to look in all of a variety of places or the time to read/write lengthier responses.
I miss you friend and you don't feel so far away knowing a phone call and email update is so close by!
Love, Heather
Oh P.S. Like the main point I was thinking of writing you; I got my hair highlighted and cut and I think you'd really be impressed! Yeah, that wasn't the only reason I wrote!