Saturday, November 25, 2006

October 9th Blog:The Amoeba Diaries
Hey everyone, here is a blog I wrote a couple of months ago without sending it… It gives you a picture of what life here was like at that point:
Dear Friends and Family,
Once more I am at the Sheridan, trying to email. However the network is not up. I figure since I am here and actually have a charged computer, I will write a blurb now and send it on from school.
I am defying the gods, at the moment, drinking Nigerian beer and eating an overpriced grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Why does this classify itself as mortal rebellion, you ask? Well, I have been sick with some mysterious bacterial disease- yes, the little buggers have been playing kickball in my intestinal track since Wednesday. I have been living off of bread and water, and other mundane things- I decided that it was time to attempt to live a little. I can already tell by the feeling in my gut that I am going to regret this.
Life has been discouraging this week- I am tired of being sick and I desperately miss my life back in the U.S. This is not FUN right now, and I have this nagging feeling that my life is not going to change much in the future- that I will be destined this level of aloneness for a long period of time.
In order to prepare myself for this impending doom, I went to a movie by myself for the first time on Saturday night- not my first movie, but the first time I have EVER attended a movie without a friend, lover, or some type of companion. I actually enjoyed it- saw Devil Wears Prada for the second time, I highly recommend it.
Its not that I don’t have people to hang out with, but I still am battling this feeling of isolation- a feeling which I do not handle well. I think that is pretty natural after you spend a weekend holed up in your apartment watching the re-runs of American reality t.v. programs (I’m hooked on the Jerry Hall one- even though it is totally scandalous)
Speaking of T.V.- my favorite show “Lost” is playing here (for those of you who were holding your breath over this). However, its ½ a season behind. Better than nothing.
Well, I need to take my intestinal track home and put it to bed- perhaps if this continues I will be on a reality television show of my own-“random tropical diseases that people get who don’t take their sister-in-laws advice on what food not to eat while in a 3rd world country” sounds catchy.
Love you all- keep praying!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Marty! I miss you girl! I for sure will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you conquered that nasty bug you had. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Martina!
I really hope you are feeling better! As my roommate could tell you, diseases from 3rd world countries suck!! I hope yours does not last two years like hers. Be careful!
On a lighter note, I miss you and can't wait to see you soon! Remember where I live?!

Anonymous said...

Martina~ I was just checking in to see if you had any new updates... Miss you! Can't wait to see you! ~Jes